Mary started her career in London. After qualifying as a barrister, she worked in the insurance and transport industry before returning to private practice and requalifying as a solicitor. She practiced in solicitors’ firms in London and Hong Kong for 25 years, most of the time as partner, and has conducted litigation in the High Courts of England and Hong Kong including to the highest appeal courts. Mary has very substantial experience of commercial disputes including with the banking, insurance, transport, energy, commodities, construction, IT and manufacturing sectors. In 2013, Mary joined the Hong Kong Bar and re-joined the English Bar to focus on her growing arbitrator practice.
Mary has been involved in commercial arbitration since her early years in London, conducting ad hoc as well as institution administered arbitrations including ICC, Uncitral, HKIAC, SIAC, SCMA, SCMA and CIETAC Rules. She has been appointed arbitrator since 1996, including pursuant to “commercial men” clauses. She is on the panel of arbitrators of CIARB, LCIA, SIAC, DIAC, HKIAC, CIETAC, KCAB, KLRCA, CAA, HKMAG, APRAG and SCMA. She regularly sits in arbitrations in London, Hong Kong and Singapore on a wide area of commercial disputes including in consolidated arbitrations.
Mary has mediated large international commercial disputes in London, Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai.
Career in London
- William A. Crump – Solicitor and Employed Barrister
- Thomas Miller – Claims Executive & Insurance Underwriter
- Zodiac Maritime Agencies – Claims and Insurance
- Chambers of GRA Darling QC, (now 36 Stone Chambers) – Pupil Barrister
Career in Hong Kong
- Brandt Chan & Partners / SNR Denton (now Dentons) – Partner, Dispute Resolution and Regional Head of Insurance
- Hammonds – Partner
- Kennedys – Partner
- Denton Wilde Sapte – Consultant
- Koo & Partners / Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker LLP – Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution and Construction
- Ng & Partners – Partner